Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tunisian Wedding

No, guys, this is not me in this picture! :)

Last Saturday I went to a Tunisian wedding! This was one of the things on my checklist and now I can tick it off! (Thanks to Cotta for inviting me and to his mother’s cousin who got married :)). We attended the last of the altogether 4 celebrations. Apparently there are many celebrations that are part of the wedding but only during the last one the bride and groom are together. The other celebrations involve things like the women going together to a hammem (Tunisian spa) for example. On the last night, the one I attended, the bride and groom show up together. The bride looks like a doll with sooooooooo much makeup and a huge and heavy-looking dress (I was surprised she could even move in it). Then they sit on a couch in front of everyone and people kinda go up to them. Every once in a while they might get up to dance but that couch is their main place. During this celebration there was no dinner. They served a lot of sweets and little snacks, as well as fresh juice (strawberry and lemon) and mint tea. There was an orchestra, which played traditional music, and people danced. It was extremely interesting to see and quite different from what I’m used to. Then again, I haven’t been to a wedding in ages so it’s a bit hard to compare. Any of you getting married soon? Invite me please :)

Btw, talking about marriage, Lindsay and I already got a little marriage proposal and for the record, we’re not getting married yet :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice blogging, Steli! You make me want to blog now. Or at least seriously consider it. Want to write it for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete