Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tunisian Food

My expectation of Tunisian food was for it to be spicy….and well, yeah, it is! :) The main ingredient that makes it that was is the “harissa”. This is something like a spicy chilly mix which they put on practically everything here. And it makes the food super spicy. I’ve gotten used to ordering meals without it or with very little of it. A little trick in case you wanna try some of that is to poor some olive oil on it. It kills the spiciness a little.

At the beginning I thought I’d really have a problem with the food because it seems like the main ingredients of most meals are olives, eggs, tuna and harissa. And I hate olives, cannot stand warm tuna and find harissa way too spicy! But I got really used to it and I found meals that I really love! So now I can say I really love Tunisian food. Some typical dishes are: ojja, lablebi, brick, couscous with fish or lamb and many, many more. (if you wanna see pictures of some of these just check out the photos I have uploaded on Facebook. I have quite some photos of food!)

Ah, and I should not forget to mention that they eat bread (French baguettes mostly) with almost everything here. You will even sometimes get served spaghetti with bread. :)

A great invention that I can eat/drink is the “jus de fruits”. There are quite a few place where you can get a kinda juice which is basically a fruit pure with coconut, lots of nuts and honey. It’s really popular here and it tastes amazing! When I go back home to Austria and Bulgaria remind me to make it some time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment