Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Tunisian Family


When I left Austria my biggest fear was not that I will have a cultural shock, not that I won’t be able to adjust to life in the country or the food, or the people, but that I will have to live with 5 other people in the same place…something I had never done before.

Before I arrived in Tunisia I got in touch with my future flat mates and I asked lots of questions about the life in Tunisia, about the flat, etc. When I arrived and the AIESEC guys took me to the flat I met a group of not 5 but 7 people :) During my first 2-3 weeks I lived with 7 other people and I shared not just a room but a bed with one girl. This was because one of the interns had 2 more weeks of his internship and another intern had to stay with us for the time being.

I didn’t know about this before I arrived so I am surprised how normally I accepted it when they told me. So I essentially shared a bed with a “stranger” the first few weeks of my arrival.

But these people are now my family here in Tunisia. I still cannot believe how amazingly well we get along. They are such cool people, sooo willing to explore this country and culture. They are so much fun to go out with, to share experiences with, to talk, to laugh… For you to know who I share my life at the moment with here is a little overview:

* Maja: Croatian; She’s been in AIESEC for about 4 years and now works in the same company as me. We laugh soooooooo much together, she totally gets my sense of humor (yes, guys, I’m funny in Tunisia. Come visit me and you’ll find out! :)). I cannot imagine life and work in Tunisia without her! Plus, she completely relates to my Balkan side :)

* Viktor: Brazilian who seems like a nice quiet guy but is aaaaalways ready to party and is such a positive person! I cannot remember one night when he didn’t want to go out partying!

* Lindsay: Canadian; originally my bed-mate, now “just” my roommate! She’s the mommy of the house always taking care of everything and making sure we kids don’t burn down the place! :)

* Carlos: The Portuguese guy who looves cooking and “hard rock” kinda music (which most of us cannot relate to) but is now too busy for all of this because he’s got his Tunisian girlfriend to take care of. :)

* Debora: also Brazilian, really funny with her awesome English, party person, who is now also quite busy with her Brazilian boyfriend but manages to integrate us very well into her new circle, hence the Brazilian parties I’ve been attending lately! Ah, yeah, she also likes to set me and Lindsay up with random guys! So far not very successfully. Her and her boyfriend’s matchmaking skills definitely need to be improved :)

I also have my amazing Tunisian friends here who have been great and are also part of my Tunisian family! They are constantly inviting us to go out, attend AIESEC events, spend holidays with their families and just overall introducing us to the Tunisian culture, food, language, mentality, etc.

People are an important part of my experience here and I’m more than lucky to have these individuals around me! I’ve only known them for 2 months but it feels like I’ve been friends with some of them forever.

2 comments:

  1. oooooooow...u almost made me cry now!!L-O-L Steli!! i couldn't imagine working here without u too!!!! :)))
    And ur blog is soooo fakn funny!!! Love it!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha mom of the house? Don't forget fellow How I Met Your Mother addict. Oh, and provider of Reese Peanut Butter Cups! ;)

    ReplyDelete